Attorney Gault is licensed to practice law in Maryland and Pennsylvania. He is an experienced attorney and litigator who has received peer recognition for his proficiency in legal analysis, legal research, and legal writing. He is experienced in all levels of federal, state, county, and administrative proceedings, including both trial and appellate court matters.
Attorney Gault opened his law offices at 31 West Courtland Street in Bel Air, Maryland in July 2014. His practice concentrates on Family Law and Domestic Litigation – including divorce, alimony, monetary awards, custody, visitation, child support, property settlement agreements, use & possession of the family home and family property, pre-nuptial agreements, QDROs, pension & retirement benefits. His practice also includes Protective Orders and Peace Orders. James also handles certain Traffic Court matters and other general civil litigation matters.
Since becoming a member of the Harford County Bar Association in 2014, Attorney Gault has represented dozens of individuals referred by the Harford County Bar Foundation. Please visit the Testimonials page on our website to review the comments provided by the Director of the Harford County Bar Foundation.
BAR MEMBERSHIPS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
Member of the Maryland State Bar Association
Member of the Harford County Bar Association, Bel Air, Maryland
Member of the Harford County Bar Foundation, Bel Air, Maryland
Member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
Member of the Federal Bar Association under the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
Member of the Federal Bar Association under the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Co-author of published course materials for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Spring 2012 CLE program "Ethics and Professional Responsibility"
Before obtaining his law license in Maryland in 2013, Attorney Gault previously practiced law as a general practitioner in central Pennsylvania for over 20 years, with 15 years devoted exclusively as a workers' compensation practitioner. His professional experience includes:
- in-house counsel and general counsel for central Pennsylvania business owner involved in complex multi-state civil litigation, trademark litigation, and estate administration litigation (regarding an estate and trusts valued in excess of $50M). Substantial trial and argument court experience in county courts, Pennsylvania appellate courts, the U. S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Job duties focused on advanced inter-disciplinary research regarding multiple lawsuits pending in Pennsylvania and Florida, complex pleadings, motions, briefs, and appeal records;
- primary Brief Writer for workers' compensation department of center-city Philadelphia law firm with multiple state-wide locations. Job duties included preparation of briefs, reproduced records, and related administrative level and appellate court filings; also attended multiple hearings and depositions in Pennsylvania and Maryland;
- office manager at a workers’ compensation claimants law firm in central Pennsylvania comprised of multiple satellite offices, including three regional offices - Cumberland County, Montgomery County, and Lehigh County;
- in-house counsel for PMA Insurance Company representing insurer and employers in workers' compensation litigation; responsible for litigation in twenty counties throughout Pennsylvania;
- part-time Tax Professional - federal and state income tax returns;
- previously appointed as Arbitrator by the Cumberland County Court of Common Pleas, Carlisle, Pennsylvania;
- previously represented Tri-County Mental Health & Mental Retardation Foundation in central Pennsylvania;
- previously chaired municipal solicitorships for North Newton Township Board of Supervisors, Dickinson Township Zoning Hearing Board, and Dickinson Township Planning Commission in central Pennsylvania;
- Judicial Clerkship, Cumberland County Court of Common Pleas, Carlisle, Pennsylvania – Judicial Clerk for the Hon. Edgar B. Bayley, President Judge (Ret.)(1986-89) and the Hon. Kevin A. Hess, President Judge (1985).
EDUCATIONJuris Doctor, Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Irving J. Kaufman Securities Moot Team Captain
Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity Member
Income Tax Assistance Program Volunteer
Alumni Advisor - Dickinson Law Securities Moot Court Team
Bachelor of Arts – Government / Political Science, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
3.75 GPA - Dean's List 7 of 8 Semesters
Campus-wide Tutor for the University's Political Science Department
President of the Government Club & Pre-Law Club
Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society Executive Committee Member
Kappa Delta Pi National Honor Society Member
Concert Committee (Rick Springfield, .38 Special, INXS, Jefferson Starship, Adam Ant)
East Pennsboro Area High School, Enola, Pennsylvania
National Honor Society
Attorney Gault lives in Bel Air, Maryland with his lovely wife, Rebecca. They have a wonderful family consisting of Maddie, Sarah, Jesse, Anna, and Joshua, along with two very important and beloved Ragdoll cats ("KC" and "Sammy"). He is a member at the Arena Club and Mountain Christian Church.